Thanks for this recipe, mom. Every time I make it, I love it more. I had to share it.
Bundt Cherry Coffee Cake
Ingredients (in order of use):
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup Sour Cream (250 mL)
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1/3 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Can Cherry Pie Filling
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Icing Sugar
Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Using 3 separate bowls, do the following (i.e., mix each of these in their own bowl, one of them being large enough for all 3):
- Beat ingredients 1-5 together until fluffy (approx. 10 minutes with mixer)
- Mix ingredients 6 & 7 (flour and baking powder)
Mix ingredients 8 & 9 (flour and baking soda), and let stand for a few minutes to allow baking soda to work
Now alternate adding the 3 mixtures together (i.e., add spoonfuls of the 2 into the third) and beat until fluffy.
- Grease and Flour the bundt pan
- Spread 1/3 - 1/2 of the mixture in the bottom and part way up the sides of the pan, making a channel for the filling.
- Mix ingredients 10 & 11 (brown sugar and cinnamon) and sprinkle on the batter in the pan
- Add the cherry pie filling (be careful not to let the pie filling get on the pan itself, but keep it all inside the tunnel of batter that you have in the pan)
Carefully cover with the rest of the batter. Put it on in small spoons full so that you get all the cherry covered
Bake 1 hour at 350 F
- Cool before removing from the pan. If you take it out too soon it will cave as it cools. Loosen with a knife before trying to take it out of the pan.
- When completely cool, either dust it with icing sugar or drizzle it with a bit of icing (1/2 -3/4 cups of icing sugar mixed with a bit of water to make it a consistency to drizzle it).